Day 6 – First Full Day on the Sailboat (without pictures)

Last night we crashed around 9:30, crawling into our cabin with nary an inch to spare. We had the option to sleep on the deck, under the stars. We considered this but decided to sleep in the cabin… a bad option in the end. The cabin was comfortable for the first couple of hours, then became stifling hot. Cross ventilation was not an option, not to mention a thin mattress.

We thought that the boat would be under sail as we traveled around the islands near Fethiye. However, Few, if any, boats used their sails. perhaps this is because it is a lot of work to raise them, then lower them multiple times each day. Another reason is that you have to maneuver around hundreds of other boats.
Our new friends on the boat, Buthra (Turkish) and Manolos (Greek) have been married for three months, having met in Hamburg, Germany while in university. He is a computer programmer and she is getting her Ph.D. in Material Science. I had to ask what that is and found out that it is studying the structure of materials, such as ceramics. She knows minimal Greek and he knows minimal Turkish. He knows German and Spanish, while she knows minimal German. Fortunately for us, they both speak English and that is their main language of communication. Everyone else on the boat speaks a smattering of English.  fortunately, Buthra can translate when the other passengers wanted to know us and vice-versa.
Around 10:00, after a beautiful breakfast, we motored to an island cove with crystal clear water where you can see 30’ down to the bottom. There are no fish but serene water to enjoy. We floated and swam and then relaxed on the deck, reading, snoozing, and writing. I am unable to add considerable pictures or even publish my daily entries until we return to our next hotel with internet service.
I was able to share the phone service of one of the guests, so I can check emails once in a while. We move from cove to cove for swimming. The original route has changed based on the number of other boats in the coves we visit. If it is too crowded, we move on.  Almost all the boats have solar panels, which was a surprise. The boat also uses a generator, which is only on during the day, making it a scramble to charge our devices.
The captain, a pleasant young man, and his two-man crew, man the various duties on the boat, in addition to cooking the meals. We have tea and cookies or muffins at 4:00 PM on the deck and other meals at the back of the boat at a long table for the eight of us. We enjoy traditional dishes of salad or cut cucumbers and tomatoes at most meals, yogurt at some other meals, always bread, vegetables (some in a tomato sauce, which is yummy, and some slathered with mayonnaise, which was weird but actually tasted good), meat or fish at dinner and sometimes salami at breakfast. I took pictures of some of the meals and will publish them as soon as I can.
More information on the other passengers next time…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *